Guelph Youth Singers (GYS) is a parent run organization, with parents making up the majority of board members and volunteers. Guelph Youth Singers was incorporated June 3, 1992. Charitable registration number: 135120376RR0001.
GYS is a community choir that provides opportunities for talented children within Guelph and surrounding counties to sing and enhance their skills in musical knowledge and theory, to foster personal friendships, to hone social skills and develop performance ability.
- Markus Howard, The artistic director is responsible for artistic direction, development, and musical education of the choirs.
- Bryan Stafford, The choir coordinator is responsible for the general management and coordination of daily affairs.
- Heather Fleming and Marion Samuel-Stevens, The assistant conductors are responsible for the musical education of Choirs 1 and 2
All staff are accountable to GYS’s Board of Directors, reporting to the Board regularly at meetings. They work in accordance with the policies and programmes established by the Board of Directors.
Board of Directors
The board is made up of members who assume fiscal responsibility for GYS and sit as chairs of various committees. The board meets monthly to discuss current issues and review budgetary concerns. It connects with the artistic director, administrator, and assistant conductors, and volunteers weekly through email, fax, and phone, as well as at various committee meetings.
Current members are:
Pamela Young, President
Heather Mair, Vice President
Kumudinie Kariayapperuma, Treasurer
Elisha Funk, Secretary
Jolie Davis, Touring Coordinator
Fiona Hatfield, Development Coordinator
Liz Wamsteeker, Member at Large
Tina Hotton Mahony, Member at Large
Jennifer Haack, Member at Large
Sheila O’Reily, Community Member
Volunteer Base & Support
GYS builds its volunteer base from choir members, parents and interested community members. Volunteers receive support and direction from the board, the artistic director or the administrator. In most cases, all three are involved.
Parent’s Start-up Meeting and Annual General Meeting
Each year begins with a Start-Up meeting in the recital hall of GYMC. Parents are urged to attend and choristers are welcome. The meeting will include:
- A snapshot of the coming season
- Details on volunteer opportunities
- A presentation of the unaudited financial statement from the previous year as required by our corporate structure
- A cahnce to meet with one another, ask questions, arrange car-pooling, etc.