Guelph Youth Singers (GYS) is a parent run organization, with parents making up the majority of board members and volunteers. Guelph Youth Singers was incorporated June 3, 1992. Charitable registration number: 135120376RR0001.
GYS is a community choir that provides opportunities for talented children within Guelph and surrounding counties to sing and enhance their skills in musical knowledge and theory, to foster personal friendships, to hone social skills and develop performance ability.
- Markus Howard, The artistic director is responsible for artistic direction, development, and musical education of the choirs.
- Marion Samuel-Stevens, The assistant conductor is responsible for the musical education of Choirs 1 and 2
- Heather Fleming, The choir coordinator is responsible for the general management and coordination of daily affairs.
- Cathy Meggison, The choir bookkeeper is responsible for the general financial management of the organization.
All staff are accountable to GYS’s Board of Directors, reporting to the Board regularly at meetings. They work in accordance with the policies and programmes established by the Board of Directors.
Board of Directors
The board is made up of members who assume fiscal responsibility for GYS and sit as chairs of various committees. The board meets monthly to discuss current issues and review budgetary concerns. It connects with the artistic director, administrator, and assistant conductors, and volunteers weekly through email, fax, and phone, as well as at various committee meetings.
Current members are:
Heather Mair, President
Kumudinie Kariayapperuma, Treasurer
Ben Hatfield, Vice-Treasurer
Elisha Funk, Secretary
Karen Bewick, Fundraising Events Coordinator
Sheila O’Reily,Community Member
Genny Barlow, Youth Rep.
Fiona Hatfield, Member at Large
Nick Wilker, Member at Large
Lisa Blenkinsop, Member at Large
Tina Hotton Mahony, Member at Large
Volunteer Base & Support
GYS builds its volunteer base from choir members, parents and interested community members. Volunteers receive support and direction from the board, the artistic director or the administrator. In most cases, all three are involved.
Each year begins with a Start-Up meeting. This year, the meeting took place virtually via Zoom on Thursday October 1st, 2020. Parents are urged to attend and choristers are welcome. The meeting will include
- A snapshot of the coming season
- Details on volunteer opportunities
- A presentation of the unaudited financial statement from the previous year as required by our corporate structure
- A chance to virtually meet with one another and ask questions.